Lacey and Larkin Frontera Fund: Leading the Battle to an Equal Society
Humans are considered the most intelligent and superior species. However, this great honor has not stopped humanity from turning against each other. So many countries are being affected by war hence resulting to a high number of refugees or people seeking asylum to other nations.
People have degraded each other and therefore, this has led to an increase in the formation of groups seeking to preserve humanity and ensure that every life matters. These groups are termed as human rights groups.
For years, the U.S has been a safe haven for immigrants especially from its neighboring countries in the Southern part of America. The country has numerous human, civil and migrant rights groups seeking to give a voice to the oppressed.
Some of these groups include:
- CHIRLA. This group advocates for human, civil and immigrants rights. It also helps refugees in Los Angeles. It seeks to empower the minority and provide an equal footing to all.
- ACLU Immigrants’ Rights Project. This group is mainly situated in New York and California. It fights for the immigrants coming into the U.S.
- Amnesty International USA Group 30. This group is a worldwide movement that fights for prisoners and advocates for fair trials for political prisoners.
- An attorney for the Rights of the Child. It is a group that advocates for children rights and is fighting to end female circumcision.
- California Association of Human Relations Organizations. The group protects human and civil rights.
- Border Angels. It was founded in 1986 and has a keen interest in fighting for migrant rights and immigration reforms.
These are just but a few human rights group. Another well-known group is the Lacey and Larkin Frontera Fund which fights for the migrants of Hispanic descent.
About Larkin & Lacey Frontera Fund
The fund was founded by Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin. It is located in Arizona and has served as a voice of Latin Americans. Michael and Jim founded the fund after they received a $3.75 million settlement from the Maricopa County Office. This settlement was as a result of their unlawful arrest by Joe Arpaio who was the sheriff.
The two media personalities were forcefully ejected from their homes after they brought to light the corruption and degradation of human rights that was taking place in the sheriff’s office.
They were soon after released, and this resulted in a court battle between them and the sheriff’s office. Luckily for Michael Lacey and Jim Larkin, the court ruled in their favor. The two have put their money to good use by supporting groups advocating for civil, human and migrant rights in Arizona. The fund has supported groups like Colibri Center for Human Rights.
Their work is giving a voice to a group of people who have often been forgotten or discriminated against. These kinds of groups seek to emphasize the importance of equality. We are all equal regardless of the differences that may separate us.
Learn more about Jim Larkin and Michael Lacey: